As Chairman of the MISRA C Working Group, I am pleased to announce the release of MISRA C:2023 (MISRA C Third edition, Second revision). This is a further update which incorporates Amendments 2, 3 and 4 (AMD2, AMD3, AMD4) and Technical Corrigendum 2 (TC2) and provides support for C11 and C18 language features.
At the present time this document is available in PDF form, but an option for purchase of hardcopies using a “print on demand” service should be available soon.
My thanks to all involved in creating this new revised version.
Note: Contrary to some media reports, the publication of MISRA C:2023 is not late… there were never any plans to publish it at Embedded World 2023 – in fact, the intention was that the new version wouldn’t be available until 2024. Publication was brought *forward* to mark the 25th anniversary!
What does “Third Edition, Second Revision” mean?
The following primary editions of MISRA C have been released:
- MISRA C:1998 – The first edition
- MISRA C:2004 – The second edition
- MISRA C:2012 – The third edition
Subsequent to the publication of MISRA C:2012, further incremental updates have been released, and consolidated into revised documents:
- MISRA C:2012 (Feb 2019) – The Third edition, First revision
- Also informally known as MISRA C:2019
- Incorporates amendment 1 (AMD1) and technical corrigendum 1 (TC1)
- MISRA C:2023 (Apr 2023) – The Third edition, Second revision
- incorporates amendments 2 (AMD2), 3 (AMD3) and 4 (AMD4), plus technical corrigendum 2 (TC2)